On August 15, 2023, City Council adopted Resolution No. 2023-32, establishing a Safe Place Initiative.
The City of Mount Dora Police Department (MDPD) is committed to providing a safe and secure environment where all people can live their lives without the fear of crime. Because of this mission, the MDPD will coordinate and facilitate a “Safe Place Initiative” in the City of Mount Dora.
What is the Safe Place Initiative?
The Seattle Police Department’s Safe Place initiative is a community outreach and crime reduction program licensed by the Seattle Police Department (SPD). It gives victims of bias or hate crimes a Safe Place to go where a business will give them shelter while they call for help. There are currently more than 300 hundred law enforcement agencies who have adopted the SPD Safe Place model. The Orlando Police Department, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office and the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office are a few of the many Florida law enforcement agencies that have active SPD Safe Place initiatives.
What is the process for the creation of the Mount Dora Safe Place initiative?
- The MDPD will develop policies and training to improve their responsiveness;
- Training will also be made available to participating businesses;
- Once the Safe Place initiative is ready to go live, it will be presented to City Council for final approval;
- If the City elects to adopt the Seattle Police Department’s Safe Place initiative, those program requirements will be followed and their window decal will be used. If the the City elects to develop a unique Safe Place initiative, there would not be an obligation to follow the Seattle Police Department’s Safe Place requirements and a custom window decal can be created.
- Applications will then be available for businesses wishing to participate.